– The fourth round of Brexit negotiations took place this week. The agenda is available here.
– The European Parliament published Draft motion for a resolution to wind up the debate on the state of play of negotiations with the UK.
– President of the European Council Donald Tusk met Prime Minister Theresa May in London. His remarks can be found here.
– The European Union Committee has launched a new inquiry into Brexit: deal or no deal. More information can be found here.
– The External Affairs and Additional Legislation Committee has launched an inquiry into resilience and preparedness: the Welsh Government’s administrative and financial response to Brexit. More information can be found here.
– The Welsh Government has laid its response to the External Affairs and Additional Legislation Committee’s report on its inquiry into the future of regional policy – what next for Wales?
– Susie Alegre posted a new blog post – Citizenship, Identity and the Quagmire of Brexit Negotiations – on Doughty Street Chambers Brexit blog.
– Several Brexit-related articles written by Conor James McKinney were published on Free Movement blog – What does Theresa May’s Florence speech mean for EU citizens? & Citizens’ rights: update after fourth round of Brexit negotiations
– A summary of a presentation of Christopher Muttukumaru CB to the FIDE Foundation in Madrid on the enforcement of EU-derived rights in a post Brexit UK context was published on Monckton Brexit Blog – Enforcement of EU-derived rights in a post Brexit UK: an EU perspective of aspects of the European Union (Withdrawal) Bill
– Two new Brexit-related articles were published on EU Law Analysis blog – Brexit and Data Protection: The Tale of the Data Protection Bill and UK-EU Data Transfers written by PhD student at Queen Mary (University of London) & UK/EU Security Cooperation After Brexit: the UK Government’s Future Partnership Papers written by Professor Steve Peers.
– The European Parliamentary Research Service prepared a podcast on the EU customs union – Understanding the EU customs union [Policy Podcast]
NEW ARTICLES IN THE LIBRARY
– Professor of Migration Law (University of Leicester) Bernard Ryan wrote an article for the Journal of Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Law – Bernard Ryan, ‘Negotiating the Right to Remain after Brexit’ (2017) 31 (3) J.I.A.N.L. 197–226.
– Legal consultant Tina Shah asks whether ‘legal technology vendors will make the leap across the Irish Sea’ in her article ‘Brexit: banking on Ireland?’ published in the latest issue of the New Law Journal – Tina Shah, ‘Brexit: banking on Ireland?’ (22 September 2017) 167 (7762) 19–20.
– An article ‘Second-rate talent’ fear over EU plans’ was published in the latest issue of The Law Society Gazette. “Leaked Home Office plans to allow highly skilled EU workers into the UK for just 3-5 years would hit Welsh universities ‘extremely hard’, the head of Bangor University’s Law School warned” – ‘Second-rate talent’ fear over EU plans’ [25 September 2017] L.S.G. 20.
– An article dealing with a status of the European Court of Justice after Brexit was published in the Counsel – Rhodri Thompson QC, ‘ECJ status post-Brexit. Will the UK need to keep an eye on ECJ rulings after withdrawal? Rhodri Thompson QC examines the practical and political difficulties’ [October 2017] Counsel 28–29.